Inventory and Management of Property-The University of Alabama has insurance coverage for many items and pieces of equipment located inside and outside each UA building.
1. All University equipment over $5,000 in value must be inventoried and numbered with a UA property management serial number by the Property and Inventory Management Office located at 1115 14th Street in the Ancillary Services Building, phone (205) 348-7501. Each UA department should have a property and inventory management representative who maintains a current list of all property located within each department.
2. Each department for control purposes should also inventory equipment under $5,000 in value.
3. The University does not insure personal property brought to work by employees.
4. University property taken home by UA employees is the personal responsibility of the employee and their home department.
If a burglary or theft of University equipment occurs, call the University Police Department at (205)348-5454 and report the theft. To file a claim for insurance coverage, complete the General Incident Report and follow the reporting instructions on the form.
To reduce the occurrence of burglary or theft, each department should practice and follow regular safety and security procedures as follows:
1. Close and lock all doors and windows in the department before leaving for lunch or before leaving at the end of a workday.
2. Maintain control of all building keys, i.e., who has access and use.